Date posted: 2/7/18
JOB CLASS: EXEMPT DEPARTMENT: Circulation
REPORTS TO: Circulation Director
Primary Function: The Regional Home Delivery Manager is responsible for the distribution of the News and Record daily newspaper and associated products; The Winston-Salem Journal daily newspaper and associated products; and the RockinghamNOW bi-weekly newspaper and associated products. The position also manages the delivery of alternate publications for which the companies are contracted to provide delivery services. The RHDM will manage, lead, and direct employees in the home delivery departments to achieve excellent customer service and readership growth via independent contractor delivery partners. This includes, but is not limited to, contract management, expense and revenue management and strategic planning. The RHDM will work with the circulation leadership team in the development and implementation of growth initiatives; insure product control within the distribution center and at drop sites. This position will lead staff training/development. This position is also responsible for managing independent contractor recruitment/orientation. Required Skills The Regional Home Delivery Manager must possess and display excellent communication skills in working with the public including internal and external business partners. Strong negotiation, leadership and analytical, budgeting skills are a must. Familiarity with Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, Outlook and Access preferred. Experience with the circulation system, DSI, is also desired. Required Experience At least five years of successful newspaper leadership with operational management experience and circulation sales experience is required. Job Duties
The Regional Home Delivery Manager is accountable for ensuring that excellent delivery service is attained, maximum circulation volumes, and revenues are achieved. This includes and is not limited to the following: Screening, hiring, training, coaching, mentoring, monitoring employee performances, employment termination when appropriate, of all personnel in the Home Delivery Department.
1. Teambuilding with district managers, distribution center coordinators, redelivery personnel to insure a healthy working environment where all have the potential to thrive and be successful. Staff development planning and training.
2. Monitoring timely distribution daily and service quality standards are consistently met for all publications.
3. Ensure all customer service requirements are met.
4. Must possess excellent communication skills, oral and written, for in this position the manager is interacting with staff, peers, business partners, and the public.
5. Responsible for distribution of multiple products currently including the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, USA Today, IBD, Barron’s all News and Record products.
6. Manager must be capable of managing route optimization to insure routes are profitable for the company while being attractive for responsible, reliable independent contractor business partners. This also involves making sound decisions regarding route structure.
7. Manager must possess strong analytical skills and math skills. Manager must be able to monitor and manage a budget and be able to plan a budget for the department. Manager is responsible for training and development of staff in the management of route structures and route stability.
8. Manager must work to maintain and grow circulation volumes in the market.
9. Responsible for overseeing the contracting of business partners for home delivery routes. This position also manages all contract terminations and compliance with company policies.
Direct Reports: Employees: All home delivery personnel who may include Zone Manager(s), District Managers, Part-time Redelivery personnel, DC Personnel
Experience & Skills required: •
Successful track record with outstanding service; circulation growth; and revenue performance • Excellent Customer Service Skills-oral and written • Planning and organizing the distribution operation experience • Proven leadership and staff development of teams • Possess ability to display sound judgment. Sound decision-making and execution skills are critical to be successful in this position. • Diversity/Safety • Proficient in MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and other related databases and web-based applications. Experience with the circulation system-DSI is a plus • Must enjoy hands on leadership and front line involvement with achievement of excellent service Education: Required: HS Diploma; Preferred: Associates or Bachelor’s degree
PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS: (must successfully pass) • Criminal Background Investigation • Drug Screen Must possess reliable transportation, automobile insurance and a valid driver’s license EOE