The Highlander, a weekly community newspaper located in beautiful Highlands, NC has an immediate opening for an editor. If you love waterfalls, hiking, cool summers, and a little snow in the winter, Highlands is the place for you. Minimum requirements: Located an hour west of Asheville, NC and two hours east of Atlanta, GA, Highlands is a vibrant market that attracts outdoor enthusiasts, while being a short drive to city life. Our next editor will:
• have a four-year degree from an accredited university with a concentration in journalism;
•be a hands-on leader with a minimum of four years full-time newspaper experience including reporting, editing, pagination, and photography;
• have demonstrated interest in local political and cultural affairs;
• have excellent writing and verbal skills;
• have experience editing reporters' copy and submitted materials for content and style;
• have proven interpersonal skills representing a newspaper or other organization at civic functions and public venues; and understands how to lead, motivate, and mentor a small news staff.
A small family-owned community newspaper The Highlander offers competitive pay, vacation, holidays, health insurance including dental and vision.