Date posted: 4/20/17
Mountain Times Publications is looking for a full-time creative page designer. The ideal candidate will have both newspaper experience and experience with the inner workings of a total content management system — but we are willing to train an applicant with the basic skill set.
The position is in our Boone hub, where a team of designers work in a fast-paced environment building multiple newspapers and special sections for our North Carolina-Tennessee newspaper group.
You will benefit from experienced leadership, but some of the skills you’ll need to have and develop include:
• Knowledge of principles of design, including page layout, typography, color, balance and composition.
• Ability to create page layouts and graphic elements using Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and other tools in the creative suite.
• Produce quality work in a deadline-driven environment for multiple projects while following style guidelines.
• Knowledge of photography practices, color, composition.
• Ability to develop visual concepts based on collaboration with editors, photographers and illustrators.
• Collaborate with other designers to solve problems and develop visual solutions.
• Manage a variety of production deadlines.
• Detail oriented with strong organizational / time management / communication skills.
• Ability to work independently, recognize and attend to important details with accuracy and efficiency.
• Ability to follow industry standards and practices, stay current with industry trends.
• Understanding of digital platforms and experience in web design a plus.
Extra attention will be paid to applicants who have copy editing experience (you’ll develop this, too).